Tuesday 9 June 2015

Castle pullover, and the importance of carefully reading instructions

I decided to go through my graveyard of dead projects and make something that I'm actually going to finish and wear. That meant goodbye to the Baby Corn dress from last summer and hello to the Castle Pullover.

I was basically after a knitted top that I could wear alone like the Petrie shell or with a layer underneath, and one that would be interesting enough to knit to make sure I'd finish it (so not too much stockinette!). The Castle Pullover is meant to be a jumper of sorts, made in wool, but I don't know that many people who would opt to wear a wool t-shirt. A bamboo-cotton t-shirt though seems far more appealing.

This is a top-down construction with raglan sleeves, which has the added benefit of allowing you to try it on as you go along, made mostly in lace. It uses a long-tail cast-on, which was a revelation to me and I think my favourite cast-on method so far.

I decided to be sensible for a change and read through the whole pattern to make sure I understood it before starting, I even circled my size throughout to avoid confusion. And yet somehow I missed a very crucial bit of the instructions, which meant that after the endless increases during the raglan shaping, I realised I didn't have anywhere near as many stitches as I was supposed to. It was hit and miss at that point, and if I hadn't paid for the pattern, I may have given up rather that start all over again.

But I persevered, got to the fun bit, aka the lace, got a little frustrated with the fun bit when I started making mistakes and decided to stop 'living on the edge', as my friend put it, and use a life line for each lace repeat. It certainly helped when I started counting out 9 stitches for each pattern repeat, as suggested by another raveller.


Its cute, its cozy because of the bamboo, and, surprisingly, the fit is fine even though I used 4mm needles with a DK yarn rather than the suggested 4.5mm needles with a worsted yarn - I guess this was a little stretchy. There are a couple of mistakes I know I made in the lace, but thankfully they are not at all noticeable.



But there's one major flaw that makes me very very unhappy. I have no idea how this happened but my raglan lines are in completely the wrong place: one is on the sleeve, where it's supposed to be, and the other is in the middle of the top! I am soooo annoyed about this and especially about not noticing earlier.



I don't know if anyone else would notice, especially because if I strategically shift it (as in the photo above) the line can somehow be in the middle rather than running diagonally across the chest. But it sort of spoils it for me, hopefully I can look past it and enjoy the cozy top despite its flaws! 

No comments:

Post a Comment