Saturday 19 September 2015

Quickie makes: the Seamwork Astoria jumper and Gertie's mini skirt

My knitting has stalled thanks to a new addition to the family, Dr Jenner, which interferes with my balls of yarn (yes, the rumours are true, cats do have a yarn obsession!) He wasn't exactly helpful with sewing either, but it was a little easier to get him out of the way and sew some quickie projects.




On a whim I signed up to Seamwork, Collete's monthly online sewing magazine that also comes with two free patterns which are meant to be beginner-friendly and doable within 3 hours at the most (a bargain at $6 a month, but I suppose only if you fancy the patterns). Of course instead of making the ones that came with my subscription, I decided to buy the Astoria , a boxy cropped jumper made in knit fabric - still, that was only $5! that's nothing! Especially because I've already made two.

What's interesting is that this is a perfect demonstration in how using different fabrics can give you completely different results. The first Astoria I made using some sweatshirt fabric, as recommended by the pattern and, frankly, because I had some lying around. I cut the size as measured, yet it turned out fairly tight, to the point where its a bit of a struggle to put on and take off. And when I wore it the other day I felt a little suffocated by it (even though it wasn't touching my neck, must have been mostly psychological).



The second one I made using some Hacci sweater knit fabric from Girl Charlee - I had no idea what that meant until my parcel was delivered, but let me tell you, this is the softest, most comfortable fabric ever! It was, however, a bit of a bitch to cut and sew, not because it curled, mainly it stretched a bit too much and the layers kind of stuck together. No matter, its such a joy to wear, and I'm sad that its so thin I'm unlikely to wear it for much longer (weather in London has taken a turn for the worse).



I don't know if you can spot the different when worn (eg, the neckline on the black one is much higher), but here is a close-up of the two together as well.



Oh, and the skirt is another quickie make. This is from the Gertie Sews Vintage Casual book, the pencil skirt modified to a mini A-line skirt, made in a Ponte fabric. To be honest, this is not really my best work, I made it a bit too short (because I didn't read the instructions properly) and so to compensate for that I adjusted the elastic so that it would sit quite low, but I didn't do a great job so its still a little big. Its a cute little cover-up for the days I fancy wearing leggings though so I'm happy enough with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment